10 Jesus Style: Obedient
What is your definition of being obedient? How do you feel when you are required to be obedient? Do you think Jesus felt the same way? How do we find joy in being obedient like Jesus did?
Scripture 1 - Jesus is speaking to his disciples at the last supper.
John 15:10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Fathers commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this; love each other as I have loved you.
1. Keep my commands - that just means being obedient.
2. So he reminds us that he has led by example and been obedient to God because he wants us to also be obedient to God.
3. What is his command that we should be obedient to? To love each other.
4. Why does he want us to be obedient? So that we may find joy.
a. How do we find joy in being obedient???
b. When we act out of love for others rather than selfishness we will find joy.
c. In other words, when we are not obedient it is because we are being selfish and only caring about what we want so being obedient is not fun because it is all about ME. BUT if we are not selfish and act out of love for others we will find joy because it is no longer about us.
5. When we act out of love it will be easy to follow all of Jesus' other commands
b. Lead by example
c. Being humble and honest
d. Being like a child
e. Being the least and last
f. Not caring about our reputation
g. All of these traits start with LOVE.
Scripture 2 - In Paul's letter to the Romans he says:
Romans 5: 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
1. Paul is talking about how sin entered the world through one man, Adam.
2. In return the world was saved by one man, Jesus.
3. Our disobedience or our obedience has a great impact on those around us.
a. When we choose to be disobedient to God we choose to not be an example of Jesus which can lead people away from him
b. When we choose to be obedient the opposite apples. We are good examples of Jesus and his love and can lead people to him.
4. How we treat others is the example the world is watching which is why it is so important to treat people with love.
Scripture 3 - Jesus is responding to the Jewish leaders who were persecuting him for performing works on the Sabbath and calling himself the Son of God.
John 5:19-20 I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed.
God is our Father just as he was Jesus' Father so let's reread that but put ourselves in the scripture:
"I tell you the truth, I can do nothing by myself; I can only do what I see my Father doing, because whatever my Father does I will also do. For my Father loves me and shows me all he does. Yes, he will show me even greater works than these, so that the world will be amazed."
1. Any gifts and abilities we have are from God. But he also gives us ability and strength beyond ourselves to get through anything.
2. Because our heavenly father loves us he will not keep secrets from us and he will show us everything about himself.
3. If we obey Gods commands and follow Jesus' example to live out of love for others we will be filled with his joy and he will use us to do his great works here on earth.
4. Our obedience and love will amaze and have an impact on the people we come in contact with.
Being obedient isn't just a one way street benefiting those in authority. Being obedient to Jesus and loving others will not just bring others joy it will also bring you joy. Remember that your acting out of love may be what brings someone to Jesus.
1. What are instances where you have done something for someone else out of love? Someone you know or maybe a stranger?
2. When you have done something nice for someone out of love how does it make you feel?
3. When you do something out of selfishness do you feel the same way?
4. When have you found true joy and happiness in being obedient?
5. Have you ever found true joy and happiness in being disobedient?